Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A writer with bad hand-writing?


A few confessions:

1) In first grade, the highest mark I got for penmanship was FAIR. Never good or excellent (unlike the little red-headed girl next to me.) Just FAIR. I learned to hate the word fair.

2) I wrote so much in long-hand, and so many notes in college on that teeny-tiny college ruled paper, that by the time I graduated college (to become a teacher), I had handwriting that resembled a doctor's. It was BAD.

Can you imagine my terror upon realizing I had to (a) write on the board for those lovable scamps I called students and (b) write notes home to said lovable scamps' parents?

So one of my first assignments to myself as a teacher was to learn how to write again. My handwriting still leaves a lot to be desired, and I envy anyone with a nice, crisp print or a beautiful cursive hand -- someone, say, like Nicole Ducleroir, who tagged me for a hand-writing tag.

Showing off my handwriting is right up there with me putting a pix of me in my yellow bikini on my blog (yes, I still have my yellow bikini, yes, it still fits, and no, I don't wear it anywhere in public, unless you count The Sister's hot tub as public.) But for Natalie, I will grit my teeth and expose my shame.



Write down (by hand!) on a piece of paper the following:

1. Name, Blog Name
2. Right handed, left handed, or both?
3. Favorite letters to write
4. Least favorite letters to write
5. Write out "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
6. Write in CAPS: BABOON, SPLENDOR, ONOMATOPOEIA, FLIP-FLOPS, HUZZAH!
7. Favorite song lyrics
8. Tag 7 people
9. Whatever else strikes your fancy (Me, I have supper calling, so no more silliness for me tonight!)

It was interesting, this assignment, that I had to confess my least favorite letter to write -- that would be C. Yes, the C that I write my name with. My "c" leaves much to be desired, aesthetically speaking, and it's one of the letters I'd like to improve on. Also, I'm a Georgia girl, and Georgia girls' "c's" ought to resemble the Coca Cola "c."

And now my tagged victims:

Tawna Fenske
Linda Grimes
Julie Musil
Anne Gallagher
Nelsa Roberto
Lola Sharp
Jessica Lemmon

6 comments:

Linda G. said...

Ack! You're challenging me to expose my secret shame?

BTW, your handwriting isn't that bad. Really. I can read it and everything. Now, mine...ugh. Well, you'll see.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

My handwriting was as bad as a doctor's from the get go. Thank god for word processors. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

It's not that bad now. I can read all of those except for number 7. But then I clicked to enlarge and I can read that too!

JournoMich said...

What a fun post! And, for the record, your handwriting is very nice and very feminine.

Cursive? Can't even remember how...

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Unknown said...

You have beautiful handwriting, and you do a much better job than me writing in cursive! Half my letters don't connect...it should be called curse-print.

Sorry to find this late...I've been behind schedule for weeks...:P

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.