Tuesday, March 30, 2010

And Be A Villain


Last week, I was the Wicked Witch of the West.

No, I didn't recently join my friendly neighborhood coven (is there one??) and I'm not involved in Little Theatre. I'm a mom, and The Kiddo wanted to take her 300-buck DS on a field trip, despite the fact that the school handbook says no electronics on school property. Last time I checked, a school bus was school property.

From 5 p.m. (when The Husband called and put The Kiddo on the phone to ask if he could run her out to Wally-World and buy her an iPod to take with her the next day) until 9:30 p.m., there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Basically it sounded something like, "Whhhhhhyyyyyy? All my friends are going to have electronics! You have an iPod! Whhhhhhyyyyyy? I just wanna diiiiiiieeee."

It started back up at 6:30 the next morning.

My standard response was: "Hey, it sucks, and it's not fair. But my no means no."

It got me thinking. Villains get the short end of the stick so many times. We just paint them bad and unfeeling and cold-hearted (that's certainly how The Kiddo saw me). But they have their reasons. Yes, I know. Some of their reasons are so twisted they rival pretzels, but still, they have their reasons.

And if we can remember that, and include some of those complexities, then we'll wind up with villains who possess a bit more depth.

Plus, there's always the chance that someone will tell me that The Kiddo only thinks I'm the Wicked Witch of The West, while in reality, I'm being the wonderfully consistent, wonderfully firm parent that she needs. Because let's face it. The Kiddo won't be saying anything like that until she's probably 100.

5 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

She'll appreciate your wisdom when one of the other kids loses his electronic whatever on the field trip. Or it gets broken.

Cynthia Reese said...

One would think, wouldn't one?? :-) Thanks for the encouraging words!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stuck to your guns. She'll thank you for it later.

Cynthia Reese said...

Thanks, Medeia ... those guns were HARD to stick to. I basically had to apply Crazy Glue so that I wouldn't unstick. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good for you for sticking to your principles. I do exactly the same. Electronics stay at home, that way, even if they get lost, you know you'll find them under a mattress/in a cookie jar/hidden under old socks!